No TV

It was a challenge at first; but now, it's just the way it is. We are not entirely TV free, but on School nights we don't watch TV. The kids were getting crazy, fighting with each other and Jay and I. One night a few months ago Jay and I were talking about it and we decided that we had had enough (or maybe I did...) either way, no more TV on school nights. The kids are not always 100% happy with it, but it has been great overall. They have started playing more and are getting along better. Audrey is reading all the time and getting better every day. Even Kaylee is benefiting from the social interaction. I think that it is great that they are outside playing, even on this gloomy day. Also, they hardly even ask to watch TV during the designated time anymore. Friday we are usually busy and Saturday and Sunday they often go off and do their own thing. It's really fabulous! Try it, you'll like it.

Posted by Picasa

5 Input:

joanie said...

Woo-hoo, I'm glad it's working out! I've wanted to blog about no-tv for a long time, but thought i would get a bunch of "hippie-crazy comments". I'm happy you jumped on the crazy bandwagon.

Flock of Lambs said...

Ever since we moved, we don't have tv because of service and stuff. It really is great not having it, but also a bummer because I LOVE THE FOOD NETWORK!!! But Nate and Kait are role playing with each other more and they are starting to make up scenarios and stuff. I LOVE IT!!!

Cassie said...

Hummmmmmmm you are the third Mom I know who has banished TV with very positive results. I'll have to take an honest look at our families viewing habbits. I know my kids would be fine with out TV but I wonder how I would do without my "SpongeBob crutch"??? You've set me to thinking...

Miss Sue said...

Okay, be honest. When the sweetpeas are all snuggled asleeep in their beds, don't you turn it on? just for a little bit?

Craziest Cottrell said...

Oh yeah, I didn't say that Jay and I didn't watch TV, just the kids, on school nights. And yes, we have had very good results. And yes, I am pleased as punch when it is bed time. But it was the same struggle when they were watching TV and it makes a difference that they have been coming up with their own activities and doing things on their own, verses glued to the TV and fighting about who is sitting where.

Where is Everybody?